In 1911 a small, congenial group of Chicago bond professionals, composed of B.J. Clarke, Thomas R. Rollo, D.L. DeGolyer, A.C. Allen, E.E. Quantrell, Frank F. Winans, William T. Bacon, Donald Scott, Charles F. Glore, Augustus Knight, J. Ritchie Kimball and Samuel W. White, decided to meet once a week at lunch at the Grand Pacific Hotel, in order to promote better acquaintanceship and to discuss general financial conditions. The membership was limited to 25, and originally only one member was admitted from each institution represented in the group.
After several of these meetings officers were elected as follows:
B.J. Clarke, Harris Trust & Savings Bank
- Vice President
D.L. DeGolyer, Wm. Salomon & Company
Thomas R. Rollo, Union Trust Company
A.C. Allyn, Elston, Clifford & Company
Once a month this group was addressed by prominent speakers at luncheons in the Great Northern and Grand Pacific Hotel. In 1912 the membership was increased to 60, and in 1913 to 75.
The first by-laws of the Club, adopted in 1912, stated, “This Club is organized for the purpose of bringing the bond men of Chicago into closed social personal acquaintance,” and it was in this year that the Club was formally organized. The first yearbook of the Club was issued in 1912. The first outing was held at the Edgewater Club in St. Joseph, Michigan, on May 27, 1913, and the Club’s first burlesque paper, “The Little Economist,” was published.
In the ensuing years, the Club has, like the investment business, grown materially in size and prestige and is today limited to four hundred and fifty Active members. An Advisory board created in 1925 was later discontinued. Every effort has been made to maintain and carry on the ideas of the founders of this organization and the Club has served a very useful purpose in promoting closed acquaintanceship among the leading men and women in the investment business in Chicago. A better understanding of the problems of our business and of current affairs has been gained by a continuation of the policy of securing prominent, well-informed speakers for the luncheon meetings.
In addition to luncheon meetings, the three principal annual activities of the Club are the Field Day, the Holiday Party and the Annual Meeting.
The Field Day is usually held during the early part of June and for many years it was at Lake Geneva. From 1928 to 1931 it was held at Medinah Country Club, from 1932 to 1990 at the Knollwood Club and from 1992 to 1994 at Shore Acres Country Club. Since 1995 to present, it has been held at Green Acres Country Club in Northbrook, Illinois.
The Holiday Party, originated in 1930, has been held in recent years the first week of December. It is a later afternoon informal cocktail party and buffet.
The Annual Meeting, at which officers and directors are elected, is usually held in early February.
In February 1936, an amendment to the Constitution and By-Laws was adopted, changing the name of the association to The Bond Club of Chicago.
In February 1937, the members of the Club voted to create new c lass of membership to be known as Veteran membership. As now set forth in the By-Laws, the principal requirement for this class is reaching 65 years of age.
The Bond Club of Chicago is an organization of investment professionals that provides opportunities for social interaction and intellectual growth. The Club endeavors to recognize and unite the many growing areas of the investment business. Recruiting activities and solicitation for business are strictly prohibited by the Club. Investment professionals exhibiting the highest level of ethical and business standards are sponsored for membership into the organization.